Tuesday, October 18, 2011

My FreeBSD History


Here is a little background on my FreeBSD Life. In December of 1994 I downloaded FreeBSD 2.0 and it has been history since then. I have used FreeBSD at home off-and-on for over 11 years on my server and off-and-on over 5 years on my workstation. As a server OS, in my opinion, FreeBSD cant be beat! Almost every OS has or is using the BSD IP stack for networking. That says a lot! The tightly integrated build system for system upgrades is better than any other OS I have used. The ports system is in a class by itself, very easy to install/update/upgrade/deinstall any port installed on your system. For my work personal server I use FreeBSD Current (which is now 8.2).

Here is a quote form another web site. I believe the same!

"A hearty thanks to the core team and everyone who has contributed to FreeBSD. I truly believe you can't find a better UNIX-like O/S for PC's, no matter how much you pay."

No comments: